Monday, August 10, 2009

OUR CITY: DETROIT

I didn't have a chance to take a picture of our homeschooling day today. We just got home last night after a mini-vacation to Kentucky. We enjoyed our visit with my family. We got to attend a small town fair and see my sister-in-law growing every so much with my soon-to-be-arriving nephew.

Since I don't have a picture from today, I thought I'd share a photo from the fair. Caleb, Kole, Daxx, Kazz and Vinze were riding the Pirate ship. Brook is on there too but you can't see her.

I'm also going to take this chance to talk about our City, Detroit. This is the place you will see most often on this blog. We hang out and about there quite a bit as a family.

If you have any doubts about what we think about where we live, you will have them cleared up by the end of this post. :o)
------------------

Native born Michigan folk are Michiganders even though our governor calls us Michiganians. I have only recently heard the term Michiganites and think it to be quite...ridiculous. I was born in Michigan but raised in southern Ohio and Northern Kentucky. I found out many years ago that I don't care for the sound of crickets. Hanging out near the sound of cars, sirens and kids playing really does my heart good.

No matter what we call ourselves or what people call us however, the one term we Michigander's can all agree on is that we are absolutely...Loyal.

We love our state. We love our Red Wings. We love our Tigers and enjoy the many lakes, streams and ponds that Michigan has to offer.

Those of us lucky enough to live in Metro-Detroit have the added advantage of Loving our City. Detroit is the Artistic, Inspired, Magical, Beautiful, City where families take in the view, the food, and the many cultures to be discovered.


At the center of the city we hang out at the Hard Rock Cafe in the elegant Art Filled Compuware building. The Hard Rock Cafe is located in the footprint of several of Detroit's finest attractions including the fabulous Joe Louis Arena, Comerica Park and Ford Field.

Strolling into the finest of Downtown Detroit, families experience a HUGE and expressive art and Architecture lesson while touring the Compuware Building. Moving upward we reach the top with a fun ride around the city. (sky rail)



Quite often, Brian and I spend an evening at the Opera. We love The Fox Theater! It is a national GEM that takes our breath away every time we enter!

You see, Detroit is gorgeous! We refuse to buy into the myths about Detroit. We know the TRUTH, we experience the TRUTH and we plain and simply do not want to miss out on all that our city has to offer just because somebody else has fears hanging around from years gone by.

Our views are not distorted by blown out of proportion movies. We KNOW Detroit and are proud of our city. We are part of the thousands who are impressed,
excited and honored to be able to call Detroit home.

Of course, I do not view our grand city with rose colored glasses. I am not naive.

There are indeed parts of our city that need repair. The cold weather and snow does a doozy on the roads. I do understand reservations about getting out of a car if one zigs when they should have zagged, HOWEVER I do believe that our Nations Capital is worse in
regard to "bad parts" of town yet families visit there for vacations every year! Why do families not give a second thought to the high crime rate in Washington, yet fail to enjoy Detroit?

Maybe it's because the
idea of Washington D.C. is one of majestic beauty, the White House and national monuments? It is not often that the back streets of D.C. are highlighted in the news or D.C's crime rate is mentioned in the news.

Detroit doesn't have that luxury. We do get a bad rap in the press AND in movies. That stigma carries over to the psyche of our nation's parents. It Is a real possibility that parent's feel afraid to drive near our city let alone bring their family to experience it.

That, is a sad, sad idea to have about our wonderful city.
Detroit is just as safe as Washington D.C.!

I urge you not to let the movie "8 mile" scare you away from what could be a beautiful and pleasant family vacation. I can tell you from experience, living only one mile from "8 mile" that this city is amazing!

We have been enriched, entertained, enlightened and entranced by Detroit!

I hope to hear from families who came to enjoy our city and learned that their fears were NOT realized. I hope that there are many, many families out there who have experienced the view from the People Mover, were able to attend a Tiger Game or attend an Opera at The Majestic FOX Theater.

I hope to hear from those who have visited The Charles H. Wright Museum of African History, The Detroit Institute of Art, The Detroit Zoo and The New Detroit Science Center.


I expect...NO...I KNOW you were not disappointed!

Detroit cannot be sampled, Detroit is to be Experienced!
Come see for yourself. I think you'll be very happy to have made the trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment